Coach House Museum is home to an outstanding collection of New
Zealand heritage, showcasing over 140 years of rural
history. There is a comprehensive display of horse-drawn
vehicles ranging from heavy vehicles used to establish the
district, through to the social and commercial vehicles used by
settlers, traders and farmers. Historic farm machinery and
agricultural equipment used by farmers in the region, and settler
lifestyle displays from the horse-drawn era and beyond can be
of the rarest and internationally significant items of machinery
in our Museum collection can be found within the Spall
Collection - an impressive private collection of restored
vehicles and stationary engines, including the rare "Fitch Four"
tractor [one of only a few in existence world-wide).
story of dairy farming in New Zealand is explored alongside the
history of the Cheltenham Co-op Dairy Factory - the first dried
milk powder, and the beginnings of the world renowned global
company Glaxo. When the ship Dunedin
left New Zealand on 15 February 1882 with the first shipment of
frozen meat on board, she also carried a small quantity of frozen
butter. When the butter was then sold in England in perfect
condition, dairy farming in New Zealand was changed forever.
depiction of Kitchener Park - Awahuri Forest, brings you
native bird calls, the sound of running water, and surveyors
talking around their campfire.
Exhibition Team is currently working to enhance this
exhibition, through the inclusion of replica native
birds and their songs.
passion for all things 'John Deere'has culminated in Otaki
farmer, Ferg Crawshaw's outstanding collection of historic
John Deere tractors and machinery. Over 30 vehicles
and machines have been painstakingly restored by one
dedicated John Deere man and are now proudly displayed for
all enthusiasts to enjoy.
collection is based around those early tractors and
implements produced during the late thirties, forties and
early fifties. Two trips were made to the USA to
acquire five additional tractors, one of which is very
rare, to fill out the collection.
Kerouse and his Tinker's Van in September 1957
This hawker's van was built for Peter in 1900 - he
travelled the roads of the Manawatu [and beyond]
selling everything from ä needle to an anchor".
a single horse, the van can be entered through
canvas flaps at the back, and there's room for a
single person to sleep along the centre aisle.
at the Coach House Museumn, the Feilding
& District Community Archive plays an important role in
receiving and cataloguing donated community records, some of which
were previously held by the Manawatu Distriction Council and
Feilding Public Library, from 1875 to the present day. The
Archive is open to the public every
Thursday from 10am to 4pm, and at other times by
appointment, when access to the Archives computerised database 'Past
Perfect' and document photocopying services are available.