Massey-Harris No 7
Cylinder Hay Loader
Raking Width 6 feet, Maximum elevation 10 feet 6 inches.
A light, strong,
easy-running loader that does a fine job of elevating from the windrow and
with the capacity to handle heavy crops. Deck can be adjusted to deliver the
hay just where it is convenient to build a big, substantial load. Sturdy in
construction yet light in weight, the Massey Harris No. 7 Hayloader is light
draft and easily handled by the team.
addition to the display was retrieved from the banks of the Oroua river at
the end of Armadale Road, Cheltenham early in 2008. Once again we are
in appreciation of the great job of restoration Brian Schnell has achieved
with this rare item of hay making equipment from the horse-drawn era.
This loader can be
hitched to a high or low wagon without making any special adjustments and is
uncoupled by simply pulling a rope.
John Deere 1946 ½
Tonne Chevrolet Pickup Truck
‘Old JD’ is a stunning
example of a restored 1946 Chevrolet Pick-Up Truck. This vehicle is part of the
Crawshaw Collection and was restored by Ferg Crawshaw, a farmer from Otaki and
avid John Deere collector and restorer.
Pickup Truck is very typical of service vehicles used by John Deere Service
Mechanics in the USA. The vehicles were originally built in the USA in the
early 1940’s for military use as radio trucks and ambulances. When World War
civilian production began at the General Motors Ontario plant for right hand
drive vehicles. Such vehicles were exported to New Zealand and assembled by
the General Motors plant in Petone, Wellington. They were sought after by
farmers and tradesmen, but generally very expensive to buy.
The original NZ
owner of ‘Old JD” is unknown. But we do know that Horowhenua dairy farmer
Johnny Olds purchased the vehicle in 1948 for use as a farm truck and milk
transporter. The vehicle gave a lifetime of service to Mr Olds and was
purchased by Ferg Crawshaw in 2002. By this point in the vehicle’s
history, modifications had been made to the braking and steering components
to accommodate Mr Olds waning physical abilities in later years. The
Chevrolet now boasts a Ford Bronco power steering system and a Holden
Kingswood power braking system.
In its heyday Old
JD could clock speeds of up to a modest 80km’s per hour. But despite this
slower pace (by modern standards), it did show (prior to restoration)
evidence of being rolled into a ditch and was once reportedly found upside
down in a ditch near Koputuroa by neighbours.
Now, being fully
restored to its almost original condition (some slight paintwork and
mechanical modifications), the Pick Up is a popular Museum attraction for
vehicle and John Deere enthusiasts alike.
Cheltenham Dairy Factory Truck
This 1912 Burford
lorry was bought by Mr E. Sinclair when the Cheltenham Co-operative Dairy
Company replaced their trucks in 1936. It was purchased to use for farm work on
their Cheltenham farm. After many useful years the aged truck was parked under
trees and left to decay.
1999 saw Keith
Ireland remove the remains of the Burford and take it to Tauranga. By now a
tree had fallen across the lorry, the back diff was pushed around by the
front wheels which were decayed, the cab had deteriorated completely and the
chassis had perished. What a work of persistence, skill and love it must
have been to restore this vehicle to today’s
condition. In April 2011 Keith Ireland donated this lorry to the Coach
House Museum – another wonderful link to the past,
which will stir many memories for visitors.
It is thought that
lorries similar to this were used in World War One because they had small
trays and could stand up to the rough roads and tracks over dry ground. They
were sometimes used as ambulances or carried supplies to the armed forces.
After the 1914-1918 war, surplus armoury and vehicles were sent to Australia
and New Zealand. Dairy factories found uses for them, replacing the horse
drawn carts used to distribute milk. Stacked on the lorry deck are a
collection of milk and cream cans, complete with supplier’s
is a light, one horse, two wheeled carriage for two or three people.
Dennett springing and a sliding seat, to provide a comfortable ride, were
very common features. The Dennett system has a transverse leaf spring
mounted on the rear ends of the longitudinal leaf springs.
unusual feature of this gig is the lack of protection from mud thrown up
from the road surface. It has no sides and only short tenders. The
gig was built in Woodville in 1910 and was presented to the Coach House
Museum by Mr Adam Beattie.
The Williamson Gig
Messrs Rouse and Hurrell
built this gig for Stephen Williamson of Waituna West. It was presented to the
Society by Stephen's descendant, J. J. Williamson in October 1965. Rouse and
Hurrell, originally a Wellington business, operated a carriage-making factory in
Feilding from 1897-1907. According to the Williamson family, the brand new gig
was returned to the maker for a special adaptation because Stephen's wife,
Georgina, found it difficult to get into hampered by the fashionable hobble
skirts she wore - she had another step added.
Zealand the gig was by far the most popular two wheeled passenger vehicle.
It was a light carriage, drawn by one horse and able to carry two or three
people and their parcels or luggage.
vehicle is "well gig" which means the bottom of the deck is built to sit
between and below the shafts which are 6' 4" (1.95m) long. The wheels are
4' 8" (1.42m) in diameter with 'butterfly' style mudguards. Dennett
springing is used in the suspension. A feature of this vehicle is the
sliding seat which allowed adjustment of the balance of horse and gig to
give a most comfortable ride.
wagon was purchased in c1900 by Mathius Mai of Feilding and used by his
family as they moved from Feilding to Pohangina Valley, settling in Raumai.
In 1928 the family bought their first motor car and the Mai gig was stored
in a barn, and then later led parades for the Ashhurst 100 year
celebrations. It was offered to the Society by the Mai family in 2004 and
remains in original condition with only minor repairs in 1996.
express wagon is such a versatile carriage, suitable for seated passengers
travelling to church, or when the seats are moved, very adequate for
carrying any of the needs and stores of the early settler families. It was
often harnessed with a single horse, or on occasion with a pole and two
wagon has travelled over 5,000 kilometres on treks promoting the
establishment of the Coach House Museum and has been most useful for the
deck space it has for carrying the Oroua Teamsters gear.
world ranked collection of 17 John Deere tractors and associated memorabilia
received from Ferg Crawshaw, a highly respected member of the Manawatu
Vintage Machinery Club, and the man who has been collecting John Deere
tractors for more years than he cares to remember. This collection has been
restored and presented in magnificent condition.
where do tractors fit into the horse drawn era? They don't! But they do
continue the progression of agriculture into the age of mechanisation, and
an opportunity too good to pass up. It depicts the historic and continuing
importance of farming and the agricultural history of Feilding and the
districts of the Manawatu.
The Manawatu Historic Vehicle Collection Trust are delighted
that the Police Museum has generously agreed to display their "gold" buggy
at The Coach House Museum while their premises are being
This wagon is typical of the kind of wagon used to transport
gold from Kyeburn to Dunedin during the Otago gold rush.
The buggy was restored in 1986 for the Police Centenary by
the Friends of the Police Museum, and will remain on display at the Coach
House Museum for five years.
County Council via Adams and Burgess of Palmerston North arranged for the
delivery of the Fitch to be shipped to Auckland from America. The
County minutes show a report of the decision to proceed with the purchase at
₤750. After removal of the steel lugs it was driven on the road from
Auckland to Pohangina.
The Fitch was
renowned for its traction and pulling power. Weighing 3 tons It was ideal to
drive the metal crusher and pull the grader. It is powered by a 4 cylinder
Climax engine with a 5 inch bore and a 6½ inch stroke. It has steerage
that resembles that used on a traction engine.
The Fitch tractor
was later sold to Mr Clarry Buckman of Pohangina, where it demonstrated
it’s pulling ability in both log hauling and scrub crushing. The
Fitch was purchased in 1970 by Mr Jim Spall for restoration and returned to
its former, new condition. Following the death of
Mr Jim Spall in 2011 his family followed his instructions to donate this unique
and rare example of 1920s engineering to The Coach House. It forms the
centre piece of the ‘Jim Spall Collection’ of the Fitch Four and range of
Massey Harris Hay Tedder
eight-fork hay tedder was one of the first implements to carry the
‘International’ name. They were one of the earliest mechanical forms of
lifting hay off the ground to assist with drying the crop. The shape of the
tines and motion of the crankshaft ensured a consistent lifting motion
through the hay. On every tedder forks were placed outside the wheels so
tedded hay would not be mashed down on the next pass.
This Massey Harris tedder was constructed by the Massey Harris workshops at
the Sunshine Works of Melbourne, Australia. We haven't an actual date of
manufacture but believe it to be one of the oldest hay conditioners in this
This machine has been faithfully stored and then presented to the Coach
House Museum in 2009 by the Rod Port family of Mount Richards, in the Pohangina Valley. It has been restored to its present condition by Brian
Schnell of Bunnythorpe.
This machine is now
mounted up high and motorized to allow visitors to see the tynes moving as
if lifting a crop of hay at the push of a button.
Single Wheeled Grain
Patented in July 1872 by Joseph Nicholson,
by Stewart Dyke of Feilding, about 1990, the single wheeled, grain mower was
resting among the lupins on the banks of the Rangitikei River, up stream
from the old Onepuhi Bridge, on property farmed by Snow Anderson’s family.
appreciated its age and uniqueness, arranging to have it brought to his
Austin Museum at Maewa on Lethbridge Road, Feilding. He later passed it on
to Brian James to clean and display as part of his private collection at
James Road, Halcombe. There are several points on the machines ‘wearing
parts’ that show it had done a significant amount of work, probably at the
end of the 1890s or early 1900s.
How it arrived
on the banks of the Rangitikei River is speculation, as any people who may
have worked with the mower, from either side of the river, are now deceased.
The farms on both sides of the river were and have been grain growing
properties under the management of several well known families: Thoms and
Lee-Jones, from Porewa on the western banks, and Lee-Jones, Anderson, and
local Reu Reu Road iwi on the eastern banks of the Rangitikei River.
We believe this
could be the oldest example of harvesting machinery on display in New
Zealand. Thanks to Brian James and Brian Schnell for their rescue,
restoration and research of this piece of early, harvesting machinery.
The First Austin Lorry
A Remarkable Design of Two-Ton Chassis
It is generally
known that for quite a number of years Mr Herbert Austin, of the
world-renowned British motor manufacturing firm of that name, has been
looked to for originality and boldness of design in whatever branch of
construction he interests himself. He has seldom allowed his undoubted
creative genius to be fettered by conventional methods of construction. It
is for this reason that an invitation from him to inspect any new model
which may have been produced from his shops is always accepted with no small
degree of pleasure.
It is a long while
since Mr Austin gave such serious attention to the production of commercial
motors of any considerable load capacity. As a matter of fact, his only
incursion into the industrial field since he has been building up, in so
remarkable a manner, the fortunes of the Austin Motor Co., Ltd., at
Northfield, Birmingham, has consisted of the production of a natty little
cab chassis, which, however, did not quite satisfy the ideas of the Scotland
Yard authorities. Nevertheless, the same model has done excellent service as
a small van and as a private landaulette. It may be remembered that the
driver is seated centrally, as regards that chassis, immediately over the
A Low Loading
feature in the unusual methods of construction that have been adopted in the
course of the design of the new Austin industrial chassis is undoubtedly the
lowness of the frame line, and much of the whole conception is directly
traceable to a desire to preserve a low loading platform on this model. The
frame-work consists of a somewhat elaborate open girder-work construction,
and this is suspended, respectively, on the front and back axles by novel
arrangements of the usual laminated springs. At the front long semi-elliptic
springs of normal type are located within the frame line, in order to ensure
a quite unusual degree of lock for the front pivoted wheels. The front
springs are anchored at their forward ends.
At the rear of the
frame an entirely new method of suspension is adopted. Two springs are used
on each side of the rear axle; one of each pair is placed above it and the
other below, and it is claimed by the constructor that this arrangement
efficiently provides for the transmission of either propelling or braking
effort without imposing lateral bending action upon them.
Large Lock and
Reference has just
been made to the provision which has been made to ensure that this machine
should have the maximum of lock. Care has also been taken to ensure the
greatest possible facility of steerage. For that purpose, special; cast
wheels have been devised, and these are dished in such a manner that the
pivots are located directly over the points of contact between tyres and
road. Another feature of the wheel design is the entire absence of
protruding hub, a characteristic which will be much appreciated by those who
have not hesitated to launch criticisms in this respect at some of the
models which are much in use today. Quite a considerable proportion of the
collisions in thick traffic, in which London motor ‘buses’ are involved are
due to the striking, by some passing object, of protruding front hub caps.
All four road wheels on the Austin two-tonner are cast steel, and the front
one is riveted on to a flanged spindle of case hardened nickel steel, which
runs in phosphor bronze bushes carried in the swivel heads. The rear wheels
are bushed, and run on axle tube, which is specially ground for the purpose.
The mounting of
the whole of the power unit is not the least conspicuous feature of this
novel chassis. Engine, clutch, gear box and differential are all arranged
conveniently on a sub-frame, and these components can be removed there-from
with very little difficulty. The radiator is part and parcel of the dash
board, so that it will at once be realized that the removal of the bonnet
renders the whole of the engine exceptionally accessible. The gear
box, which is of exceptionally compact design, is of the constant-mesh type,
changes of speed being affected by engagement or disengagement of the
requisite dog clutches. The change speed lever and gate is mounted direct on
the gear box, and is, therefore, placed on the driver’s left-hand side. The
hand brake operating the rear wheel brakes is still retained in the
customary offside position.
Perhaps the most
novel feature of the Austin mechanism is the arrangement by which the drive
is transmitted from the rear part of the gear box, which portion houses the
differential gear, to the hind driving wheels. Each wheel is driven
independently by means of a universally-jointed propeller shaft, and at each
end of each shaft an enclosed bevel gear is mounted. This usual arrangement
has been decided upon primarily in order to arrive at a suitable combination
of the relative advantages of the side-chain drive and of the worm or bevel
live axle drive. It is claimed that this method yields the same clearance
beneath the rear axle which is available with side-chain drives,
and it preserves, at the same time, the principal mechanical advantages
which accrue from the employment of one or other of the better known forms
of live axle. There is no central casing, of course, to detract from the
ground clearance, and what disadvantages there may be to chain drive are not
present. The differential cross shaft carries at each of its
extremities outside the rear end of the gear box, a well designed pedal
operated brake mechanism.
Has Been Well
It is unnecessary
to say anything further with regard to this striking design. This actual
example has successfully undergone very stringent tests round and about the
Northfield works. Since the beginning of the year it has been carrying heavy
loads of sand, soil, bricks, and slack, totaling well over its normal
carrying capacity, in order to ensure good eliminating trials. We hear on
excellent authority that the machine has created quite a name for itself in
the locality of its testing ground on account of its quiet running and its
turn of speed on the level with a full load up. In conclusion it may be
mentioned that the Austin lorry has a track of 5ft., the ground clearance is
12 in., and the turning circle 42 ft., while the wheel base is 11ft.
The sole agents in New Zealand for this high-grade lorry are the Scott Motor
Agency, Cuba Street, Wellington, who are quoting the chassis (gear box, four
speeds and reverse) including tyres at £600.